Video games rapidly evolved into a growing and popular feature of pop culture. The push for better visuals and realistic play has resulted in software and hardware advancements and complexity, as well as game animation and graphic design.
The online market expanded quickly, rising by 44 per cent in 2000, when it was worth around USD 6.5 billion. The development and affordability of the internet is the key reason behind this rapid growth for an growing number of people.
The variety available in online games
Those are sort of games where players communicate with a server’s support. Some let players communicate with other players as well.
They can be of different forms. Classification One is:
- Simulation: These include strategic thinking, as the player is put in an encounter simulation.
- Role playing games: requiring players to play a part in a particular environment; these are games based on scenarios.
- Multi-user dimension: These are similar to role-playing games, but are text-oriented; they inculcate a cyber community’s participation in their play.
- Shooting: These originated from arcade aiming games; the main game play consists of aiming and hitting a target.
What draws people to online games?
There are many factors driving success such as impressive graphics and sound, ease of access and extensive online gaming availability, as well as feelings of anticipation and enthusiasm experienced as people play these games. Individuals play and spend a lot of time and money behind them regularly as it gives them pleasure. The incentive to play comes from the satisfying experience given by those games. They have a strong risk of failing, and it poses both a challenge and a measurable purpose. Being able to complete the challenge and succeed against the odds, gives players a sense of accomplishment and self-efficacy. However, this also contributes towards the risk of gaming addiction.
Gaming has benefits, believe it or not
While they have been widely criticized for their negative effects such as promoting aggression, cyberbullying, and xenophobia, work has been conducted to show that online games provide players with benefits. Many of these include:
- Online action-based games can improve different cognitive skills, since they require a certain amount of preparation and it affects brain plasticity. They need senses operation, rapid information processing, adaptive because these games are challenging and the difficulty level increases after each performance.
- Shooting games improves attention span as they involve sensory sensitivity and rapid processing of information, as well as watching all parts of the screen or game environment.
- Women who played visuo-spatial puzzle games were found to have improved visuo-spatial efficiency, and even after 5 months, this improvement was maintained.
Thank you for visiting our website!